Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Big Issue

I love to buy The Big Issue magazine, and not just because I like to think it makes me a good person, although I am all for helping those who are willing to help themselves and also those that can't. I buy it because it's interesting.

Henry and I bought one tonight from a big, burly, two-toothed man selling it outside our local supermarket. Although this man smelled of BO brewed over 100 days and looked slightly like an unkempt Incredible Hulk he was amazingly soft and gentle by nature. While we chatted Henry stared up at him as though certain this man might sit on him and crush him to death. After we paid and prepared to leave The Hulk offered Henry a lollipop from a canister he kept in his milk crate along with all his worldly possessions. Henry took it with a little trepidation, as though he couldn't believe such a giant would willingly hand over such a morsel of sweetness. He smiled and said "thank you" with a surprised lilt to his voice.

I read that magazine over dinner tonight. It included an article about food and our modern means of ensuring we have enough, read our wasteful ways, another about the lack of role models in the arts and how the behaviours of celebrities is excused because of who they are but most fascinating of all was an article written by Helen Razer, Radio Presenter, author and comedienne. She wrote about the incorrect use of our english language and those who are too lazy to use it correctly despite their long list of degrees, diplomas and PhDs. She also wrote about our overuse of the word "lifestyle". This is when I really admired her because I've been known to bring up that very subject myself many a time. Unfortunately some who have been subjected to my diatribe have glazed over two minutes in.

It's a word that's used as often as "ipod" but what the hell does it mean? It's used in property advertising, and in reference to holidays, diets, clothing, sexuality and even hair products. We've become so sucked in by the word and believe that we can justify anything as long as we use the word "lifestyle". An over priced $1000000 property can be worth it as long as it suits our "lifestyle". I guess that's true if your lifestyle dictates that you work 24/7 in order to pay for it. I'm about to spend some time re-evaluating my "lifestyle" and am wondering if I am prepared to take on millions of dollars worth of debt to live in a bigger house than anyone I know.

Of course we all know I never will because my "lifestyle" means I can't afford a million dollar house or even a one hundred thousand dollar one but still I can dream. If I had one big enough to fit my own family and several disadvantaged children it would be worth it.

1 comment:

Churlita said...

I would like to just own a house at all. Plus, the bigger the house, the more stuff to clean. That alone could affect our lifestyles.