Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Raising a perfect child

I sometimes wonder whether or not I'm being a good enough Mum. As I've mentioned before it's not the easiest job in the world and one that is fraught with challenges. Trying to raise even tempered, well behaved but brilliant children is a full time job in itself but when one has to work at some kind of paid employment to help pay the bills one is always racked with guilt over the time not spent teaching the children how to behave and remain even tempered.

I remarked to Henry's daycare teachers that we use the naughty corner at home which works brilliantly. They asked me why. Of course I looked at them dumbfounded because EVERYONE knows what the naughty corner is for thanks to the Nanny. They told me they don't use one at daycare and that Henry would certainly never need it there if they did because he's always so good and so perfectly well behaved and just so smart.

I left there feeling that perhaps I was doing an ok job after all if they thought he was so perfect. I did wonder though why it all turns to hell in a handbasket when we get home.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Oh michelle,
I ask myself this HEAPS lately.... is it something I'm doing wrong that turns her into this horror child on an hourly basis? this motherhood thing is fun isn't it? ;)

Churlita said...

It's because he feels safe enough to act up in front of you. They say it's a good thing, even though it doesn't always feel like it.

Libby said...

He feels safe with you to show his emotions freely. You should feel proud of that.

A child that challenges the rules and boundaries isn't such a bad thing.