Saturday, May 27, 2006

Transition Tremors

I'm not sure if I'm enjoying the transition from toddler to boy or what is sometimes known as the "terrible 2's". It seems that Henry has already learned that whingeing and whining gets attention from someone, anyone......who cares as long as he gets it. He's also throwing many more tantrums and outrightly refusing to do anything he's asked to do. He just shakes his head and says "nope" and runs off.


Maya and I took him to the park today. The park that has all this great new "small child" friendly play equipment. Henry's excitement lasted for all of about three seconds before he decided he wanted to run far far away from us. He had nowhere in particular in mind. It seemed his sole purpose was to have us chase after him just to prove he was able to manipulate us into doing whatever he wants us to do. We eventually got him back to the play equipment and he promptly spied some young boy sliding his matchbox cars down the slippery slide. Henry obviously thought it a great opportunity to add to his car collection and ran over and grabbed one just as it hit the dirt. The poor kid stood there looking at Henry like he wasn't sure whether to just beat him over the head and grab his car back or to wait politely until someone came. I tried to encourage Henry to give the car back but he just kept saying "nope". I had to use force to pry it from him. This elicited an almightly scream and enough tears to end the drought.

Some people don't believe me when I tell them that Henry is capable of such bad behaviour. My mother especially chooses to block her ears when I tell her such things. In her eyes he could do no wrong. EVER. To her he's perfect. To her he's angelic and beautiful and charming and smart. I guess I need to get her to take him to the park and make him give back some other kids' matchbox car.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Remembering that behaviour and how frustrating it is, is enough contraception for me!