Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Gift of Nothing

Yesterday afternoon Henry and I met some of our neighbourhood friends at the park. Discussions ensued about Christmas and what Santa was bringing the children, assembling Christmas trees and of course, Christmas shopping.

I told her how much I disliked it, especially when you were trying to shop for the kids with them in tow. We got around to talking about all the fake, nicely wrapped presents the shops include in their Christmas displays and how the kids insist on trying to open them. Henry has done this of course, but as far as I'm concerned if the shops put them within reach of small children they must suffer the consequences. I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this way but was secretly giving myself a high five when my friend told me she never apologised when her son opened kinder surprises or tore kids books etc which were always displayed at eye level and therefore within reach of small children at shop checkouts. She said she had been asked to pay for such items and had argued that she had no intention of buying them in the first place and if the shop was stupid enough to place them within reach of her two year old son they could cop it as "collateral damage".

I love it when someone feels the same way as me. We also talked about disciplining our children in public for such offences mostly to appease the shop owners and their patrons when really the children were doing what comes naturally.

I didn't tell her about the 1m square cell I have at home for other offences such as throwing my christmas baubles around the house because I'm pretty sure she doesn't have one herself.

1 comment:

Churlita said...

My daughter was the worst at doing that stuff around the holidays. They get older and get better, but while it's going on, it's still tough.