Monday, March 30, 2009

The Snake Saga Continues





Henry and I just spent the weekend with my sister and her family in Toowoomba. When we arrived my sister came running out to tell me she had a "surprise" for me. By the way she and the kids were behaving I was expecting to see that their kitchen had been beautifully renovated or that they had set out a lunch of delicious deli-meats and pickle vegetables but no, it was another snake. A beautiful snake but one my sister was beside herself about.

This snake was very safely tucked in an old football boot which was safely tucked inside a clear plastic container with the lid firmly taped shut. It turns out my brother in law was working in his shed with the thing just inches from his face. Once he saw it he jumped in alarm causing the snake to fall down from the rafter and onto the table in front of him. It then slithered its way into the footy boot making it easy for my brother in law to scoop it up and place it somewhere safe. It's a carpet snake whose job it is to help keep down the mice and rat population but my sister won't hear of it. I tried to convince her to let it loose again in the shed to do its job but she said if she knew it was in there she would never set foot in there again. He's harmless as far as snakes go and he was very dopey and docile. My brother in law called his cousin who is a Steve Irwin wanna be and he just picked it straight up out of the box and was instantly in love. He believed it may have been someone's pet because he seemed used to being handled and was healthy and looked very well fed. He took it with him to let it loose in the bush where it will hopefully enjoy a long and healthy life right where it should be.

No comments: