Monday, December 04, 2006

Happy Birthday Maya




Today marks the 14th anniversary of Maya's birth. I'm in shock and somewhat distressed of course but it's not about me. It's about her.

Yesterday afternoon we went to my mother's to play ladies in celebration. My mother had baked a sponge cake, pecan shortbread type things, mini puddings, and christmas tree shaped biscuits. This was all served on a crisp white linen table cloth, royal doulton china and lead crystal serving dishes. Even Henry had his own mini teacup. My mother does this for all her female grandchildren on their birthdays. I'm not sure whether she's attempting to show up her own daughters or whether she simply likes any excuse to lay out the "good" china.

There is of course a party which will involve several teenage boys and girls running around my home and neighbourhood planned for this coming weekend. I'll crack open a bottle of McWilliams sweet sherry and add it to my coffee as I lovingly agree to each and every demand placed upon me. After all isn't that what mothers do?

2 comments:

Meegan @ The Harvey Circus said...

Congratulations Maya!

How nice is your Grandmother to put on such a 'spread' for you :) I hope you all had a lovely time playing ladies!

Michelle, I love your plan for the party ;) Sounds perfect!

Anonymous said...

I don't think my comment worked the previous time. Anyways, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAYA!!!
(good luck to you with the upcoming party, Michelle!)