Friday, May 23, 2008

This is my life

I often wonder what my life would look like if it was presented to the world as a black and white sketch. i.e one without depth. How would it look? Would it be presented as me, with my children and husband? The Pacific Ocean behind us? Or the natural Australian bush? Or some chaotic abstract?

I often think about how my life is presented to others. If I was to write one paragraph would it appear interesting? Formulaic? Bloody minded? Boring?

Let me see if I can pique your interest with one paragraph.

Born in a small semi-coastal Queensland town to parents who struggled to keep both their marriage and respective businesses. One of five children, all of whom love and respect each other despite their differences. Never finished high school but later managed to complete one year of university studies and win an academic award for excellence. Spent years moving from one job in one location to another because the lure of life was too magnetic to ignore. Gave birth to a child out of wedlock, raised her predominantly alone. Later married and had another child. Moved into the health research field (which she now loves) as a result of the doldrum work undertaken when employment was a necesary evil. Nearing 40 and still unsure of how to celebrate impending middle age. Proud of the fact that despite all the illegal things she may have done in life she was only caught (unintentionally) shoplifting at age 37. (Everyone needs to be caught for something)

So, I ask you, how do I paint that? Should the Pacific Ocean, peaceful and crazy at the same time, with a hint of mischief, be my backdrop or should I opt for the Australian bush - serene but colourful? Or... should I get some boring studio shot - one in which a neutral background of clouds which represent nothing be my thing?

3 comments:

Churlita said...

I vote for half of the backdrop being the ocean and the other half the Australian bush. Because you are not in any way, one dimensional and it would show more of your intricacies.

Shaz said...

Go for the Ocean! I always picture you sitting on the sandy beach of Mudjimba with the curling breakers in the background, while Henry streaks (naked) through the sand and Maya wanders along the sea edge. I really enjoyed that weekend! Celebrate middle age! You've proved your genes are strong (two beautiful, intelligent children), your mind is strong (finding employment that is enjoyable) and your ability for friendship is strong (just check out your blog links!). What more can you ask from life (except that $1 Million lotto ticket - but I've got dibs first!!!)

Claire said...

Churlita, I think you're right. Never one dimensional.

Shaz, I really enjoyed that weekend too. I laughed very hard at your stories. I am going to celebrate middle age. With lots of champagne and then I'll get depressed for a while until I realise that being depressed serves no purpose. I'm still waiting for the million dollar lotto ticket to fall in my purse.