Saturday, June 09, 2007

Firetruck

My mother has a fire station just near her home. Last night while waiting for my sister to arrive from out of town Henry and I took a walk there. It was dark and the doors were closed so we had to peek through the windows to see the trucks. While doing so we spotted the firemen cooking their dinner. Henry said "I'd like to meet a fireman" so we knocked on the door hoping they'd come and introduce themselves. They did. Henry looked aghast as though he couldn't believe a real one was standing right in front of him. They invited us in and gave us a personalised tour of the station.

Henry thought it was all pretty cool until he was offered a seat in the firetruck. He suddenly became frightened and refused the offer. I got in with him but he still was frightened. He asked to get down so we did and as soon as we'd done so he turned to the fireman and waved to him and then said "Thanks for showing me the truck but I have to go back to Nana's house now, bye".

All the firemen were worried that they had somehow upset him and so they rushed off to get him a sample bag filled with fire truck goodies including some cardboard fire truck money boxes. He slept beside those all night because they were the highlight of his visit.

No comments: