Friday, June 15, 2007

Taverna Trouble

Today a friend from out of town took Henry, Maya and I to lunch at the Gap Tavern. I'd never been there before but if you're looking for a kid friendly but adult place to dine then it's perfect. They have a playground right off the dining deck and a kids playroom which is set up with a video car racing game, books, blocks and playstations.

My friend wanted to specifically go there because he's a consultant in the hotel industry and wanted to check it out for another person who's planning on taking over the management of it.

Anyway while waiting for lunch Henry played in the playroom which was located right beside our table. There were two other four year old boys playing in there too. They'd lay claim to each and every thing that was in that room and were not about to let Henry touch anything. I sat and observed for a while before intervening just to make sure I wasn't speaking out of place. Henry was his usual polite self and asked politely if he could play with the car racing game which had a seat and a steering wheel and required money (but he didn't know that). The other boy children just pushed him aside and said "no, you're not big enough and you wouldn't know how to play". Henry looked all forlorn and stood there staring and each time he attempted to go near it they shooed him away. I could stand it no longer and so tried the soft approach first. "Do you mind if Henry has a turn when you're finished?" Of course their answer was "No, he's not big enough and he doesn't know what to do, he has to go away. He just can't play in here". Very calmly I asked "Are you the manager?" They were then all like "After we've had ten turns each he can have a turn. We might take a long time you know?" I told them I understood but they weren't being very fair about it. I even pointed out that he had asked nicely and was willing to wait his turn but he didn't have to wait until they'd had ten turns. After I gave them each a stern glare they agreed to only have two turns each before turning it over. I walked away as though I had left the room but stayed outside the door within ear shot but so they could not see me. As soon as I left the room they started again. Henry had pretty much lost interest by that stage and turned his attention to something else. I left and could still see what was going on through the glass from our table. Everything seemed to be going ok but I went in later to check and by that stage the staff had turned on the playstations so I sat down to have a go. As soon as I did the four year olds decided they needed to tell me which ones I could and couldn't use. I made sure they were clear about the fact that I was an adult and could play whichever one I wanted. There were after all five playstations and only two of them so I had a choice of three. When I had made my choice they then proceeded to come and snatch the controls from my hand and tell me that I didn't know how to play and they would show me. I told them I was fine and could work it out. They then stood beside me telling me which way to move and who to kill. I had to tell them that I knew who the baddies were and I was doing just fine thanks without the running commentary.

Now normally these kids wouldn't have bothered me so much but I was tired and they were just too damned bossy. Plus I'd already spent the morning in Intensive Behaviour Therapy at home with Henry before leaving. They were getting on my nerves and rubbing me the wrong way. Their mother's were sitting at another table sipping wine oblivious to all the goings on and had not once removed themselves from their chairs to check on their sons.

As they kept it up I lost interest in playing and put the controller down and went to walk away. As I did so I couldn't help telling them that their bossy attitude had ruined my enjoyment of the game. I took Henry to the outdoor playground and they followed and kept it up out there telling Henry what he could and couldn't climb on. I stayed quiet and just glared at them. They soon got the hint and went back to the playroom to boss around some other little girl who'd gone in there thinking she'd just like to play with the blocks.

Aside from that little experience lunch was thoroughly enjoyable.

5 comments:

Churlita said...

I can't believe their mothers didn't see any of that. I would have been horrified to see my child act like that.

Meegan @ The Harvey Circus said...

What bloody horrible kids!
And what's worse is that their mothers couldn't care less what their kids were up to.
Give Henry a hug from me xxx

Libby said...

I would never have even imagined talking to an adult like that... And thankfully neither would my son.

What horrible little bullies!

Claire said...

I was horrified too but I know that kids will do that sometimes. Even mine do it occasionally but I couldn't not address it. Brats!

Shaz said...

I'm amazed you showed such restraint! I would have been doing the 'in loco parentis' and giving the little buggers a good talking too. Henry is a darling for putting up with them with such grace.