Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tool shopping

The only way to get a man into action is tell him that you need a new tool. A man type of tool. Even if it's a man type of tool that they never use. The excitement at having to spend money on a man tool is palpable. It's completely unlike the excitement they feel when you ask them to hang the washing.

Ben lives for the days when our tools break down because it means he can go and buy new ones. Why he cares so much I'll never know because he doesn't use them, I do. Yesterday our grass trimmer packed it in. I got about half way through trimming the grass when it happened. Ben was almost emotional with excitement. It meant he could buy a new one. His excuse for not doing many of the tool related jobs in the house is because he thinks the ones we own are crap. I'll admit that none of them are particularly fantastic but for me they always get the job done. However replacing them with newer, more expensive models, does not mean that he will suddenly start volunteering to take care of the man related jobs.

He's on the hunt for a new grass trimmer and he's just waiting for the day the vacuum cleaner blows up. He's not the only man I know who reads the junk mail and does internet comparisons of such equipment. He would love a new vacuum cleaner and I think he deliberately sucks up poisonous vacuum killers in the hope that it blows up sooner rather than later giving him an excuse to go shopping. Since he does all the vacuum cleaning I'll allow him that.

No comments: