Friday, September 19, 2008

The Shut Up Bears

When we read books to Henry it's got to be read in just the right way and with just the right inflections. If you read something one way the first time that book will have to be read that same way each and every time it's read to him from then on. He gets irate if someone new reads the same book and can't get what he's telling them about how it should be read. We have a book called the Jolly Christmas Postman. He delivers Christmas messages of some sort or another to all the characters of popular nursery rhymes. The Three Bears get a card and on that card is a crude drawing of their mother serving them their pudding. Each bear says the usual "Who's been eating my pudding" and their mother replies with something that she doesn't say at all in the original nursery rhyme. The following is Henry's rendition of how that little cartoon goes.

Bear 1: Who's been eating my pudding

Bear 2: Who's been eating my pudding

Bear 3: Who's been eating my pudding

Mama Bear: Shut up you soft bears, I haven't deserved it yet.

What Mama bear actually says is "shut up you soft bears, I haven't served it yet" but Henry won't hear a bar of that. According to him she definitely says "deserved it yet". If I try to correct him he gets angry. I'd give in if I had ever actually read him the original Goldilocks and the Three Bears but as far as I know he's never heard it in all his 4 years. I'm sure he would be most upset to learn that Mama Bear says nothing even near as rude as shut up.

Shame, she should have her mouth washed out with soap for being such a bad Mama and teaching her children such bad language.

1 comment:

Churlita said...

Bad mama bear. Henry is adorable.