Friday, September 19, 2008

The Snapper

I don't know what it is about Irish books that I love so much but I sometimes wonder if I'm a bit like Jeremy Irons who felt so strong about one particular part of Ireland that he went in search of why. Turns out his ancestors originated only about 5 miles from where he chose to live for the rest of his days.

Perhaps it's because they are able to maintain a sense of humour in the face of adversity. I'm currently reading Roddy Doyle's The Snapper. While the plot is fairly serious - a young girl (Sharon) gets raped by her friend's father and falls pregnant - the way she, her family and friends deal with it is so funny I find myself laughing out loud at almost every sentence. The dialogue is pure Irish and Sharon's father, though seemingly a simple character, is protective of his family and his daughter's name. He doesn't know the details of his daughter's pregnancy as she won't reveal them. She was so drunk when it happened that she felt she must have been to blame. I can't believe a man is able to so intimately describe pregnancy and the thoughts that go through a young woman's mind.

I am only half way through this book but already I don't want it to end. I want to meet the Irish family Roddy Doyle has created. Lucky for me it's part two of a trilogy so all I need to do now is track down the other two books. I never go in search of books usually because I just borrow them from family and friends as I walk past their bookshelves. Recently my sister cleaned out her library and threw a few hundred my way so I've got a few to get through but after that Roddy's other books are the firt on my list of must haves.

Oh and The Snapper has been made into a movie so I at least get to hear that dialogue with an Irish accent.

No comments: