Saturday, January 07, 2006

Fast food is no good for slow minds.

Yesterday I got to spend two hours all ALONE. All by myself. With no one else. There was just me. This is rare. So rare that I don't really remember the last time I got any significant amount of time ALONE. I don't count the trips to the supermarket or to run errands although yesterday was an errand run with a little bit of time just to walk around ON MY OWN. I had to go to the bank which was located at a shopping centre which also had a McDonalds right next door. I am morally opposed to McDonalds unless it's before 10.30am. Before then I can get a sausage and egg McMuffin. I have a weakness for these. I thought that since I was ALONE I could treat myself to one. I wouldn't have to buy anyone else one but ME. So I did but I must have been high on my ALONENESS because I went through the drive through and forgot to pull up at the first window to place my order. I thought it was a little strange that I wasn't treated with the usual ridiculous politeness that I get by the young employees of McDonalds when I got to the window I thought was the order window. I know they're all taught to be polite and talk with a smile no matter what. She was still polite but a little short. She asked me what I wanted, took my money, and I drove off believing I had to turn a corner and there would be another window at which another polite young employee would pass me my Sausage and Egg McMuffin. I got around the corner and there was nothing but car park. I stupidly looked around wondering if they'd changed things around somehow and I hadn't noticed. I stopped the car in the two minute waiting zone while I wondered what I should do. I realised my mistake and got out to go into the store and collect my McMuffin when the young girl who had served me came walking up to me with it. I apologised for my stupidity and she just muttered something about it being ok and walked off. I noticed there were several other cars behind me waiting for her to deliver my McMuffin before they could place their order. I'm sure she thought I was completely unable to understand the finer art of placing an order at a fast food joint, especially one as fast as McDonalds.

Then today we decided to take Henry to Baskin and Robins for an ice cream. I placed our order -two massive chocolate cones. The VERY young girl working there on her own placed two massive scoops of chocolate onto two small cones and handed them both to me. I took them both and then proceeded to try to get coins out of my purse to pay for them. As I was doing so one scoop fell off and dropped onto the counter. She watched me struggle to try to scoop the ice cream back up and get the coins to her at the same time. She had a frustrated look on her face that said "these stupid old people come in here all the time and make my day hell". She tsked and got the scoop and plopped that scoop of ice cream straight back into the cone and offered it back to me. I was too taken aback by my own clumsiness to even suggest she get me a new scoop.

I think I have to re-evaluate my need for fast food.

3 comments:

Carla said...

michelle - i am ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING - you are hilarious..... i think that is the healthy food gods teaching you a lesson - fast food bad!!! :) tee hee....

Claire said...

I think you may be right. See what children and husbands do to us! We get time alone and turn into lunatics!.

Carla said...

it's just a lack of practice - it's been so long since you've had 'down' time that you don't know what to do... i suggest a good book next time - a little safer perhaps - ha ha ha