Friday, January 06, 2006

Postcards from Brazil


Yesterday we received a parcel from our friend Rob who is currently travelling through Brazil and the USA. In fact I believe he may be climbing some mountain in Pensylvania as I write this. It had been opened and quarantined by AQIS, probably because it came all the way from Brazil and we all know the Brazilians are famous for their use of illegal substances. The parcel contained real and delicious Brazilian coffee and two pairs of much sought after Havaiana rubber thongs. For those of you in the States, thongs are not erotic underwear. They are shoes, made of rubber, worn on the feet. See photo but ignore the neglected toe painting. Anyway these rubber thongs (no longer really known as thongs but only as Havaianas- brand names are important) originate in Brazil and we pay a small fortune for them here. Maya will be thrilled.

I can finally admit to wearing rubber thongs, and in public, now that my father has passed away and there is no chance of me being reprimanded for it. Once upon a time I would never have owned a pair let alone wore them where members of the general public could see me. Rubber thongs were only worn by the ignorant, poor and those who had no regard for social etiquette. At least that's what my father told me. I was in my early thirties before I owned a pair of these. We weren't allowed to when we were children. All my friends had them, especially when white ones were all the rage, but not me, I wasn't allowed. I once borrowed a pair from a friend and wore them downtown. I wanted to be cool but also a little rebellious. I didn't count on my father eating lunch and enjoying a beer at a downtown hotel. Of course I happened to walk by that hotel while he was enjoying his lunch and beer, with the white thongs on. I was with three of my friends and my father comes out of the hotel and lectures me in front of the passing foot traffic and also my friends. I never felt so humiliated in all my life. My friends wondered what the big deal was and thought my father the most unreasonable man ever to walk the earth. I was never game to buy or wear another pair of thongs again. That was until I was in my thirties. I bought a pair while holidaying but I never wore them in public where people could see me and I never let my father know I owned them. He passed away two years ago and I still feel a little guilty when I wear them outside the home but I'm getting more and more bold all the time. Especially with a pair of highly sought after Havaianas, all the way from Brazil. There's something ok about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

¡Make Money!
¡Enjoy Forever!