Sunday, January 29, 2006

Monkey Grip

I read Monkey Grip by Helen Garner when I was about 18 years old. This book, and many others by Helen Garner had a profound effect on me, at that age at least. I was telling Ben about Monkey Grip and decided that I should track a copy down to read again now that I am older and wiser and also so he can read it. It turns out my friend had a copy. After my mentioning it to her and before she gave it to me, she read it herself. She warned me that I may feel differently about the book now that I am a full blown wife and mother, living a responsible (that's debatable) existence. She's right. I think Javo is a spineless little twerp of a drug addict and that's it. Still, I admire and adore Helen Garner and love her writing style. Simple but economically descriptive and all Australian.

No comments: