Friday, February 10, 2006

Lost in a sea of Australians

Not long after I replied to Libby's comment about having a homestay not being stressful we had a very stressful couple of hours, all involving our student. She got lost on her way home from university. On Monday night I sat down with her and we mapped out her bus route to the university. I gave her a city map with our house marked on it and the route from the city to home. I gave her our phone numbers also. The next morning I took her to the bus stop, put her on the bus and as I did so I realised we hadn't discussed her bus route home. I asked her did she want me to collect her from university that afternoon. She assured me that no, she wanted to catch the bus home. Off she went. When the time for her to be home came and went I started to worry. I drove to the bus stop wondering if maybe she had made it to there but was at a loss as to how to walk home from there. No sign of her. Another hour came and went and I called the homestay co-ordinator to ask what my next move should be. She told me not to panic and give her a little while longer because they often get lost in their first week while they find their way around. They always show up eventually she said. When it got dark I got particularly worried. I rang the co-ordinator again and she told me to call the police at this stage as it was getting a little late. We called the police who told us they would send someone around to take some details. A few moments later she showed up. She was very distressed and upset. She had made it to our suburb but couldn't make it home. She hadn't thought to call me. She apparently found some lovely people who dropped her off in our street. My phone started ringing with other homestay families calling to make sure she was ok as we had started a desperate ring around to see if any other students had seen her and may have an idea where she might be. Everyone was very concerned about her. That was stressful.

We co-ordinated with another homestay in our suburb for them to meet up on the bus and not leave each others sides. She managed to make it to uni and home the next day without incident. Last night however she got lost again. She went out for dinner with some friends, caught the bus home and got off at the right stop but couldn't find her way here in the dark. She had the foresight to call me this time and I was able to collect her without any problems. Phew.


We had a nice surprise yesterday though to make the day brighter. Grandma Mary sent us a parcel full of chocolate for Valentines Day all the way from America. Thank you Grandma Mary. They're delicious!

2 comments:

Libby said...

God, it's like having a teenage daughter! Oh, but haven't you already got one of those?

Claire said...

yes I do. Now I have two. She's been doing fine since then. She's linked up with some friends and they spend a lot of time exploring the city.