Monday, April 02, 2007

Ms Manager manages to avoid pool ghoul conversation

So I go to the pool today to take Henry to swimming lessons and I run into Ms Manager as I check in. A little small talk ensured about the weather and what day Henry is booked in next term and blah blah blah. I'm so thinking in my head about what to say about this .

She checks my card and notes that we haven't been for a couple of weeks.

"No". I say. "Last week I had some skin infection..."

She cuts me off mid sentence ..."Oh, that's no good is it love"

"No" I say. "It's not. I..."

"Well, we'll see you next term" and I'm dismissed.

That's it, end of conversation. No time to talk about oozing infections and how they may have been contracted.

Henry and I head for the pool. We get in, ready to start the lesson which always follows the same routine and starts with Crocodile, Crodile on the wall. Just as Henry is about to spectacularly dive towards me with his arms outstretched I glance over to see the legs of a small child, not much bigger than Henry. I notice that his legs are covered in some kind of pool ghoulish rash that looked strangely similar to mine. I have to look away though in order to save my son, who had almost made it to the bottom of the pool because I wasn't looking, from drowning. When I look back the kid is gone. I want to jump out of the pool and track down the mother and tell her that her child is possibly spreading some kind of horrible bacterial germ, infecting other poor innocent children...and their parents.

I then realise that perhaps that child got it at the pool too, maybe the mother doesn't realise that's where it might have come from and hasn't realised that by continuing to bring him there while he's covered in it will just spread it. I want to track her down and scream at the top of my voice that he be quarantined.

I was over it by the time we got to the tunnel game in which I am supposed to force my disinterested 2 year old to chase a ball through a tunnel fashioned from a yoga mat. Throughout the entire lesson today Henry chose to act like a bored teenager. He refused to even consider doing the things that were asked of him and instead decided that he was going to do the opposite of whatever the teacher said. He breathed a heady sigh of relief when the final "grand old Duke of York" horse rides on the noodle signalled the end of the half hour.

The day only got better from there. Well between the hours of 11AM and 3Pm at least. We went to visit Carla and Charli and McKenzie where we ate lashings of home made cheesecake (thanks Carla - it was absolutely scrumptious) and ran around the house scarring each other to within an inch of our lives.

1 comment:

Churlita said...

Sounds like a great day...Except the whole rash thing.