Sunday, January 25, 2009

Because apparently I'm a bit stupid...

Just a word of advice that I'm sure none of you need because you'd all be smart enough to go to the docs and get treated for an infection rather than wait until it started to take over your whole body and send you into a shaking, quivering mess, and have you swearing black and blue that the 35 degree temperature outside has suddenly dropped to 0.

I am prone to infections in a certain part of my body. I refrain from mentioning it here because most people don't like to hear about it. I've known I had one for weeks but always, or so I thought, was too busy to get to the docs. It seems my body had had enough of trying to fight it on it's own and started to let me know that it was time to get something done about it. Yesterday, while someone quite important to our future was here, I began to feel the onset of what I thought was the flu. The tingling in the spine, goosebumps, headache. Within half an hour I was a shivering, shaking mess and had to take myself to the bed to get under the doona covers. I could have sworn a sudden cold front had moved through and that it was the icy weather that was making me shiver. Everyone else in the house was dripping with sweat however and were as red faced as they would have been if they'd been eating chillies. It was this, coupled with the pain that made me hide in my room under the bed and call the doctor and tell them that I thought I was dying. Of course they didn't react as though I was dying - just said they'd send the doc around and he/she would be here within 3 hours.

By the time the doc arrived I had taken some pain killers and the shivering had subsided but my temperature was still high. She took a urine sample and confirmed the worst and then tut tutted a bit about how I should have had it seen to when the symptoms first came on.

I guess I've learned my lesson - things can kill me and I should get them checked out. If only someone will lend me some more time.

1 comment:

Meegan @ The Harvey Circus said...

Michelle!!!!!
So glad you're ok. Now.
I'm starting to realise how hard it is to put yourself first sometimes. But it needs to be that way every now and again, or bad things like this happen!
I'm intrigued about the other person in the story though...!