Tuesday, January 27, 2009

New beginnings

Henry had day one of his new pre-school today but instead of pre-school they now call it pre-prep. I never understand why they have to continually change things. I think that's why half the population suffers from anxiety. Just when you think you've got a handle on something they go and change it.

Either way I think we can safely say pre-prep was a hit although I had my doubts about it after our conversation this morning. I greeted him warmly as I always do when he woke. He jumped with a start and said "I need to get up but I can't go to my new pre-school today because they won't let me have yoghurt there. Oh well, I'll have to go back to my old daycare".

It's true, they don't allow yoghurt because apparently it's too hard for the kids to clean up if they spill it. At this pre-school the kids are encouraged to do most things themselves, including cleaning up after lunch and washing their own dishes. This is fine by me but the poor boy loves his yoghurt.

He is only there until 2.30PM so there is no time for afternoon tea but the time between start of the day and finish is jam packed with all sorts of exciting things, including growing their own edible garden.

Ben and I walked him to the door, signed him in and took him down to the playground. It was there that he immediately shrugged us off. As I bent down to kiss him goodbye he whispered "don't kiss me, everyone will see". He'd also told me that morning not to put powder on him when he got out of the shower because all the kids would see it. I guess boys really are more concerned about keeping up appearances than girls because I never remember Maya telling me such things.

When Ben went to pick him up at 2.30PM he wasn't going to leave readily. There were too many things to show him. He brought home a painting with three different coloured brush strokes on it and when I asked him about other things he'd done he said "oh I just don't remember". Apparently he couldn't remember his teachers names either but he did remember that he made friends with a boy named Oscar.

1 comment:

Shaz said...

Glad that Henry loves it! Here, it's called, wait for it, 4 yo Kindy (as opposed to 3yo Kindy). I'm still dirty that Mim isn't going into Prep this year, stupid Victorian Education system!