Monday, December 05, 2005

"The Best Birthday I've Ever Had"

Back of Beyond With No Signage Chermside Waterpark where teenage boys and teenage girls spend the day eyeing each other off.


Teenage girls spending the day at Back of Beyond With No Signage Chermside Water park.


Maya says her 13th birthday was the best one she ever had. It should have been. She got some Way Cool presents and a day at the waterpark and 3 friends for a sleep over and a BBQ dinner last night.

We went off to the Back of Beyond With No Signage Chermside Waterpark. The girls are lucky I didn't turn around and go right back home after taking three wrong turns to get there because this town has something against directional street signage. It was hot and I was trying to concentrate with three teenage girls in the car giggling and showing off their mobile phone ring tones and the radio blaring. I was almost ready to grab one of those phones and call the Brisbane City Council and demand they bring the waterpark to me if they can't put up some decent signage.


We parked, we walked....a long way....with a heavy esky and a load full of teenage girl stuff and we plonked ourselves down at a spare table and the girls disappeared for three hours while I sat and read some trash magazines. A perfect opportunity to brush up on my celebrity trivia. I had no idea so many celebrities battled eating disorders and broken marriages.

I overheard this conversation between the girls at around midnight. I don't know who said what but it went something like this.

TG (Teenage Girl) 1: You're so pretty.
TG2: No I'm not. You are.
TG3: Yes you are. You should be a model. Those boys were so looking at you.
TG4: Yeah, they were.
TG1: Don't ever say I'm pretty. (It was at this point that I yelled out that they could say I was pretty and the response was the most I'd got out of them all day. They all replied in unison. "Yes you are Michelle. You are really beautiful" - if only they meant it.)

Maya says thank you to Grandma Mary for the very cool clothes sent all the way from America.

3 comments:

Libby said...

Chermside has a waterpark? It has waterslides? When did that happen?

I am so upset. Why didn't we have them when I was a kid? Not impressed!!!

Claire said...

Hi Libby
Yes it does. Believe it or not. It's a council run pool and it's REALLY HARD TO FIND even though it's on Hamilton Road, a major road. There are no signs! Well there are if you include the one that tells you you've missed the turn and need to go back.

I wish I had one in my backyard.

Libby said...

I grew up in West Chermside - Am totally pissed it wasn't there was I was a kiddly-wink.

I agree re backyard pool. It has been a life-long dream. Perhaps one day :-) if I am a really good girl.