Tuesday, December 06, 2005

In the Heat of the Moment



It's just so hot! So so hot! I used to love summer when I was a kid. That was before I had any responsibilities and didn't have to worry about keeping anyone else cool or out of the sun. When I was slim and attractive enough to walk around in a bikini all day. When I could go hang out at the beach because I didn't have to be home doing housework or waiting on kids and husbands, or going to work to earn a living. Now I just plain hate it. The sun is relentless. It burns at 5.30am and doesn't stop until the sun has completely disappeared. The humidity remains even after that and everyone tosses and turns all night trying to keep their arms from sticking to their stomachs and the mosquitoes from buzzing around their heads. There's just no relief, no let up. It burns and it's sticky.

Going to the beach or the pool to cool off is fraught with danger because the sun is too hot to even swim under. By the time you get out of the water and get back in the hot car to go home everyone's wishing they hadn't bothered because they're hotter than when they arrived.

Everyone's tempers are frayed because the heat just saps energy. Tropical fever starts to set in. Everyone develops a personality disorder. No one speaks to each other unless they have to because this uses up precious resources. The air conditioning in the car becomes useless unless you plan to be in it for over an hour because this is how long it takes to combat the heat after the car has sat in the sun for more than 30 seconds.

I try hard to think of the advantages. I can think of at least one. The washing dries in less than a minute.

No comments: