Friday, November 18, 2005

The Happy Chef

One of my favourite things about work is lunch. The discussion about our lunchtime dining usually begins a few seconds after we turn on our computers. 8.01am - "good morning, so where are we going for lunch today and what time? I thought perhaps 9.30am would be a good time to start. I'm already dreaming of Vermicelli noodles, sugar cane prawn fun rolls and sizzling Mongolian Lamb so how about The Vietnamese?" Thing is The Vietnamese (an actual Vietnamese restaurant called The Vietnamese) is the one restaurant we always go back to. In fact we almost never go anywhere else. The food is fantastic and CHEAP. Did I say it's cheap? It's very cheap! Really cheap! Cheap and good! Way good! Delicious! Oh, and it's Vietnamese food. Today, however we decided to try an old favourite from way back, The Happy Chef. The food there was always good but for some reason our Jewish work colleague didn't like the sight of the dead pigs being carried through the restaurant via the front door to the kitchen by the delivery boy so we decided to start going elsewhere. The Happy Chef was also CHEAP and DELICIOUS despite the tacky decor with the tubular chairs but we had forgotten how good. We ordered a serve of salt and pepper five spice whitebait and Mongolian Lamb followed by Deep Fried Ice Cream. My God! I think I love this place more than the Vietnamese all over again! They have new purple paint and new untubular chairs too making it a little more bearable decor wise. The food was soooooooo gooood. I could have eaten the same thing all over again before we left. I didn't even feel full. I mustn't have eaten enough. Usually it's impossible to walk back to work after eating lunch but I could have ordered a banquet and still have managed to walk home. Not that it wasn't satisfying, it just didn't make me feel lethargic and bloated. I love that. I haven't had gas pains either .....yet. Fortunately it's almost time to go home to my loving family and Maya has a friend staying over tonight so I can only hope the Gas pains don't develop between now and when I reach our front door. That would be so uncool.

2 comments:

Carla said...

YES... i imagine michelle that farting ranks fairly highly on that list of don'ts in front of her friends!!! ha ha ha...

Claire said...

When you come back we'll take you to every awesome restaurant there is. Hopefully it'll be sometime soon.