Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Ok so this is the story...

One year, $100 good behaviour bond.

I met with the solicitor this morning and he informed me that there is a clause in the law that states that "absentmindedness" can't be used as a defence. We made a plea of guilty. Because that's what the courts want and they reward you for doing that. You, the tax payer, pay for all that court time. I guess the major stores can do this over and over and over because it doesn't cost them a cent. Just costs us, the taxpayers of the nation. Most people just plead guilty to get it out of the way and dealt with because it's easier. The major stores have a zero tolerance policy. They tolerate no one. That is unless you happen to be a police officer, lawyer, doctor or of some other prominent profession. Or so I am led to believe by people who shall remain nameless. They had no idea I wasn't because they never asked. They never asked me if I had a job full stop. In fact, they didn't ask me anything. The Police prosecutor read out the charge, my solicitor asked for nothing more than a good behaviour bond and I was granted it. I just have to behave for one whole year and not steal anything. No fines so I can still afford to celebrate christmas.

So parents beware. Stop shopping!!!!

The police prosecutor was sympathetic towards my plight and believes I should never have been charged in the first place. I'm just glad it's all over and done with. Still, it was interesting sitting in on the other cases up for hearing before me. I shouldn't mention the details here but let's just say that people can commit incredibly immoral and illegal acts and get "no conviction recorded" and a minor fine in comparison to the charge. Things that make my $4.40 accidental theft pale into insignificance.

John, our friend who came along for support (my darling husband had to work) took me to lunch afterwards. Delicious food! Huge amounts of food! More salt and pepper whitebait, crackled pork, steamed dim sims, fried rice, prawn toast. Yuuumm!! That made it all worth it.

No comments: